Marco Rota's "From egg to duck" story

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Fri Aug 15 00:54:21 CEST 2003

Sorry to quote Daniël on this, but my mailbox is so filled up that I can't find
Sigvald's post, so...

> SIGVALD GROSFJELD to MICHEL PRIOR, 14-08-2003:
>
> > Marco Rota once tried to write about Donald's life. Many people,
> > even here at DCML, think that he failed because he didn't knew
> > enough about Barks' views about the relations in the Duck-family -
> > facts that were partly revealed in "Race to the South Seas".

Funny coincidence. I was just writing something about this in another forum, and
feels like putting in a translation of my opinions of a certain matter here.

In a discussion on who was the greatest artist (the discussion was titled "Barks
or Rosa?"), someone said that they didn't like Rota, and especially not his
hidden "Marks"es, as that would imply Rota was a true Barksist, which he's not
for several reasons, among them that he thinks of Scrooge and Grandma as
siblings.

I replied:

"Knut:
How many stories can you show us where Rota says that Scrooge and Grandma are
siblings? So far, I've found ONE: "From egg to duck". You may have more, but in
that case I'd like to hear examples.

"From egg to duck" was Donald's life story. This story was written for Italian
Mondadori, and as it was about Donald's life, it was quite natural that both
Scrooge and Grandma was in it. So... Rota simply HAD TO say Scrooge and Grandma
was siblings. If he hadn't done that, the story would never have been printed.
It's as easy as that.

You see, Scrooge and Grandma WAS siblings. And that has nothing to do with Marco
Rota - they had been in decades (I think) before Rota wrote "From egg to duck" -
in Mondadori stories. And it WAS a Mondadori story he wrote. We'd seen so many
stories where Scrooge and Grandma were siblings that we didn't wonder about that
anymore. It was a nailed fact. Marco Rota had nothing to do with that.

What would have happened if Rota in the story had shown ANOTHER relationship
between the two, or if he hadn't shown it at all? Two things could have
happened. Either the story would have been refused - or his editor would have
changed it.

Another question: How many stories can you show us where Barks says that Scrooge
and Grandma are NOT siblings?

So far, I've found ONE: "Race to the South Seas". But it isn't exactly said very
clearly here - one must interpret it on one's own from how Donald and Gladstone
claim to be related to Scrooge.

And of course, there's Carl Barks' Family tree. But even though this was drawn
as early as in 1950, it hasn't been published. OK, it was published in CBL #6,
but how many has this book? (And when did it come? OK, I assume it was before
1984, when "From egg to duck" was written, but anyhow this family tree was NOT
very well-known in Europe!)

In addition, remember that we for decades had read in Italian stories that
Scrooge and Grandma were siblings. Marco Rota IS an Italian. He wrote this story
for an Italian editorial desk. To publish in a country where EVERYBODY knew that
Scrooge and Grandma were siblings. Actually, to publish in SEVERAL countries
where everybody knew that Scrooge and Grandma were siblings (among them Norway,
where we had already read about this realationship in "Donald Pocket" and "Onkel
Skrue" booklets for almost twenty years).

My point is: This relationship was NECESSARY if the story should ever have been
published at all - and, maybe Rota simply didn't even KNOW that Barks thought
that Scrooge and Grandma were siblings... YES, I mean that in 1984 you should be
allowed to call yourself a Barksist without knowing this. Saying Scrooge were
the brother of the wife of the son of Grandma was as unlikely in Europe twenty
years ago as it would have been saying a thousand years ago that Earth were
round as a ball.

I'm sick and tired that EVERY TIME someone discusses Barks and Rota, this
siblinghood is mentioned. Unless one was very observant or a devoted collector
of foreign comics, there was NO DOUBT that Scrooge and Grandma was siblings,
even though one had read most of what Barks had written. And when we in addition
grew up with that they WERE... I think that ANY Italian writing that story would
have mentioned that siblinghood, no matted how much they respected Barks. But
this is something mentioned EVERY TIME we discuss this - as if this relationship
was something Marco Rota had made up himself. Well, he didn't! It was strongly
established - it was A FACT!

Europe wasn't enlightened on this real relationship before "The charge-up
Kill-Motor hill" came in 1994. Almost TEN YEARS AFTER "From egg to duck" came,
after Egmont had hired new, American editors. And suddenly Marco Rota had to
take all the rotten tomatoes, for doing what an entire continent had done before
him, and he anyway would have been forced doing in such a story. Why?

After this Marco Rota haven't written anything showing what relationship Scrooge
and Grandma has - but my guess would be that he, as the barksist he is, has
changed his mind on this point.

Personally I accept BOTH these relationships, and I've read good stories
supporting both of them. If I should ever need to mention this in one of MY
stories, I would go with the Barks-relationship (not that Egmont would give me
much of a choice). But I like the thought of Scrooge and Grandma being siblings,
and have read several good stories about it."

Any opinions? I guess what I really want to discuss here, is: "Could one in 1984
call oneself a barksist without knowing that Barks didn't think that Scrooge and
Grandma were siblings?"

Other thoughts:
-- Have ANYONE heard from Rota on this siblinghood AFTER "Life of Scrooge" came?
-- Who created the relationship between Scrooge and Grandma as siblings?
-- Why did this relationship fall apart so easily when "Life of Scrooge" came?
No offense to Don Rosa, but this new relationship was so despite everything we
grew up with that I'm surprised it ever got through... even though it came from
Barks originally.

Quack,
Olaf the Blue