Scrooge and Scotland

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sat Aug 16 15:24:27 CEST 2003

SIGVALD GROSFJELD to OLE NIELSEN, 15-08-2003:

>> I have strangely lost recollection of where Barks stated that
>> Scrooge was born in Scotland.

> Barks stated many places that $crooge is of Scottish descendense.

Indeed. In "The Swamp of No Return (US 57), Donald says about Scrooge
who temporary lost his identity: "For a SEÑOR, that old Duck sure had
a SCOTCH accent, like Uncle Scrooge's!" (panel 7.7)

In the previous panel, Scrooge said "laddie" to Donald. From what
I've understood, that's a typical Scotch word.

This is just an example. There are also other Barks instances in
which Scrooge uses (variations of) the word "laddie".

> His last name McDuck shows the same.

On principle, *that's* no proof that Scrooge was born in Scotland
himself. It may have been his anchestors, instead. (Please notice
that I'm nitpicking.)

--- Daniël

(BUZZZZ) "I'm all rattled! WHERE am I?"