Teams, individuals, Scarpa, Barks

Francesco Spreafico frspreaf at tin.it
Sat Aug 16 16:48:23 CEST 2003

Daniel van Eijmeren wrote:

> There are many great comic book teams, within and outside Disney.
> Daan Jippes and Freddy Milton, to name just one team. I think it
> depends on how people work best, and on their attitude. Some people
> like to work alone, and other people like to fill in each other while
> creating a story.

Of course, of course! I just feel that if the author is only one the story
will have a certain "spark" that generally stories made by teams don't have.
Of course those stories may have other "sparks", I'm not dismissing them at
all, I have two websites about non-disney comic writers, so I like teams
too!

> When I asked a Dutch songwriter to tell me his best song, he humbly
> answered: "I still have to write that one." And he already was one
> of the best songwriters in The Netherlands! I think his answer
> perfectly explained how he got that far.

I remember reading somewhere that Scarpa would like to have time to remake
all of his old stories, because he feels they still lack something...
artists always try to get better and improve themselves, and that's a very
good thing!

>> Scrooge is the Scrooge I love (100% Barksian, if you like it so, but
>> not only so).
>
> Shouldn't Scarpa gets credits as well, if he creates a good Scrooge?
> It can't be 100% Barksian, because the story isn't created by Barks.
> I often see great efforts by artists, and then their fans let Barks
> take all the credits. Personally, I find that unfair and confusing.

That's why I wrote "not only so" ;-) (So actually "100%" is mathematically
incorrect, I stand corrected!). Andof course I wasn't crediting anything to
Barks for this, I was crediting Scarpa for being faithful to the real
character while being original at the same time.

>> He feels lonely so he gets this bird, the Kaibi', and then does
>> anything he can to feed him.
>
> Barks's Scrooge in the gag "Playmates" (US 38), and Barks's Scrooge
> in "The Pixilated Parrot" (OS 282) contain a quite different, less
> friendly Scrooge when it comes to taking care for pets, IMO.

I forgot to mention that Scrooge was not aware that feeding the Kaibi' would
be such a chore (or he wouldn't have bought it). But since he already owned
it when he found out that the country was out of sardines I don't think
Scrooge would let the bird starve to death, would he?

> Are there Barks stories in which Scrooge has a generous attitude to
> pets and animals? At the moment, I only remember a gag about Scrooge
> accidently feeding money to a horse. (US 23)

I remember something with chipmunks, but it was still about money IIRC.
Anyway the point wasn't pets, it was Scrooge's heart!

> P.S. Just in case I'm giving a wrong impression, I want to emphasize
> that I've enjoyed your enthusiastic account of Scarpa's work.

Thanks! :-)

> After
> reading it, I feel uneasy not really knowing much of his work. Maybe
> I should feel ashamed? Well, what do you think? :-)

That you should not feel ashamed, and that you should go find some Scarpa's
stories to read :-)

Francesco
http://www.dimensionedelta.net/scarpa/