DCML Digest, Vol 6, Issue 46

Katie Sullivan vazali at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 18 04:22:15 CEST 2003

Regaring Scrooge's lack of a butler and mansion, Sigvald wrote:
>Only in "Christmas on Bear Mountain". He sold it shortly after,

>early 1948 I would guess - just read the end of Lo$.

Someone has aleady pointed out how silly it is to use Rosa
stories to "prove" Barks canon, so I'll scrap what I was going
to say about it.

Daniel wrote:
>So what? Glittering Goldie also is a one-time Barks fenomenon.

In the comics, true.  But she popped up in an awful lot of his
oil paintings.
http://www.sullivanet.com/duckburg/barksoils/
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any other character
who appeared in only one of his stories has appeared in so many
oil paintings.  This would indicate to me that he thought her to
be an important character--or at least an important symbol of
his characterization of Scrooge (rough and grouchy on the
outside, kind-hearted deep down.)
But then I'm extremely biased in favor of her character, so
don't mind me.  ;)

Kai Saarto wrote:
> I myself am a huge fan of [Rosa], but I don't mind at all if
>someone doesn't mention him in every possible conversation.

Exactly.  I absolutely adore Rosa's work, but other discussions
are fun, too, and I'm certainly not going to protest if his name
doesn't come up in every single digest!  Besides, it's gotten to
the point where I'm hesitant to mention his work or "universe"
in discussions for fear of sounding like a certain other member
who's gotten a lot of people's hackles up.  I'd like to be able
to mention Rosa in a positive way without causing the impression
that I share some of the extreme, and at times inflammatory,
opinions offered by another member.

Katie Sullivan
http://www.sullivanet.com/