AW: Strips

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Tue Aug 19 08:52:51 CEST 2003

Gary Leach:
>> It appears that the Disney comic book license no longer
>> covers the reprinting of comic strips - that's now a
>> license in itself.

Rich Bellacera:
> Argh!  Now it will be longer than ever before all those old Bill
Walsh,
> Floyd Gottfredson, Al Taliaferro, Merrill de Maris, etc. strips ever
> see print again!

Didn't the copyright at least for the old Gottfredson Mickey Mouse
strips already expire? According to this table
http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm everything which has been
published more than 67 years ago should be. So at least the first six
years of MM cartoons should be public domain by now and it should be
possible to reprint them without asking or paying Disney any licence
fee. Im no lawyer, though, so please do not pin me down to this ;-)

You can find some nice scans of complete Gottfredson MM-stories here
("Pluto Catches a Nazi Spy" - wow! :-O):
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Easel/4942/

Cord