"Barksing " of non-Barks stories / remounting (Re: Gemstone)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Wed Aug 20 17:05:43 CEST 2003

FRANCESCO SPREAFICO, 17-08-2003:

> - Stories written and drawn by Romano Scarpa: there are so many
> classical stories from the Fifties (Both Ducks and Mice!) not
> published by Gladstone... each one of them should be published in
> a nice edition and with a good translation (possibily without
> "barks-in' 'em up" as it happenned with the "Colossus of Rhodes"
> years ago... if there are no references to Barks in a story let's
> not make them up, that's my opinion).

This is my opinion, too. I strongly disagree with tranlations that
try to change the original intention of a story, like putting
references to Barks into them.

I'd rather read the story without such "Barks approval", because I
want to see how other artists and writers treat the Disney characters.
That's impossible if non-Barks stories are treaten this way.

> Since there is now this new pocket "Take-Along" comic book, it seems
> to me that it would be the best place where to publish Scarpa (or
> any Italian 3-tiered stories), so there would be no need to remount
> 3-tiers into 4-tiers.

Remounting page layouts is one of the worst things that can happen to
a story, IMO. I cannot recall having seen a story that looked "right"
after remounting.

The 3-tier version of Barks's "Kite Weather" (WDC 42) is a nice
exception, but that's because it's a reconstruction of how the story
would have been if it wasn't remounted to 4-tiers in the 1940s.
It's not a definite reconstruction, though, because redrawn art has
been used on some places.

Still, I find it much more attractive than the "original" 4-tier
version, which looks horrible to me. This already was the case
before I knew that the story was remounted.

--- Daniël