Geography in Luck of the North

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Fri Aug 22 01:18:13 CEST 2003

Harry Fluks:
> Wrong guess. The description about the North
> Pole originates in Brazil!

OK, they probably believe that everything north of the polar circle IS the
pole. I think that INDUCKS/COA should base their comments on closer sources
when it comes to polar Geography - like Norwegians.

Roy Kooijman:
> Well IMO it still is Alaska. I don't know
> enough about your points b, c or d so I
> cannot argue about those.

Then you should perhaps read about both Greenland and Alaska before making
up your opinion.

Timo Ronkainen:
> This particular story was reprinted in Finland
> quite recently in a hard cover collection with
> new translation (using Alaska instead of
> Greenland).

That was IMO unwise of them and even disrespectful to the Greenlandic
Eskimos.

> Collection had an expert preface by Finnish
> adventurer, mountain climber Veikka Gustafsson,
> where he mentioned that currents can drift
> icebergs pretty far from their "place of
> birth".

Did this so-called expert also tell you that people in Alaska look like
Greenlandic Eskimos, lives in igloos, eats whalemeat, wear Anoraks and uses
kayaks when moving around on water?

My opinion is that if the place looks like Greenland and the people look
like, and behave like people on Greenland - chance is that it is really
Greenland and Greenlanders that we see.

If the story wasn't changed by the US-editors and Barks is really to blame
for portraying Alaska exactly like Greenland - I can only see two reasons
for it; lack of Geographical knowledge at the time or American chauvinism.
IMO none of that should be nailed to Barks. Therefore this story should IMO
be set to Greenland. There are still enough of Barks' stories that are set
to Alaska. Furthermore I have learned from DCML that variety is exactly what
the Duck universe need – that goes for geographical variation too, right?

Sigvald