AW: Fanbase loss

Cord Wiljes cord at wiljes.de
Fri Aug 22 00:36:40 CEST 2003

Daniël wrote:

> This is an on-topic DCML subject. At least it looks that way in the
> message you posted at http://www.dcml-talk.org on 08-18-03 15:29.

Yes, guilty as charged. But then I actually did not want to discuss Carl
Barks' fanbase specifically but the connection between availability and
public appreciation of artists' work in general. I just used Gottfredson
and Barks as two examples of one "forgotten" and one "possibly on the
verge of starting to be forgotten" great artists. I could also have used
Jean Cocteau ans Henry Ford, I suppose. But I expected Barks and
Gottfredson the better examples on DCML-talk.

BTW: It seems a little bit rash to call Gottfreson a "forgotten" artist.
But consider this:

+ If you want to buy a comic by Gottfredson anywhere in your home town.
Where would you go?
+ Ask any of your non-comic-fan friends or relatives "Who was Floyd
Gottfredson?"
+ If there would a question on a game show ("Who wants to be
amillionaire?") about Floyd Gottfredson: In what prize range would you
expect this question?

Cord