On strips

Eta Beta eega at supereva.it
Fri Aug 22 12:17:08 CEST 2003

Gary

>> "Guys, just forget about seeing Gottfredson's classic mouse
>> reprinted in english language ever again..."
>>
>> Gary, am I being pessimistic or just plain realistic ?
>
>Don't blame you for being perturbed, but I don't believe anyone at
>Disney is thinking in such drastic terms.

And I don't blame you for being diplomatic, it's part of your
job :-)

>These days, perhaps more than
>ever before, Disney wants every property to count, and if classic
>Gottfredson Mickey has an audience they'll be more than happy to see
>that they're served

Catch 22 :

Gottfredson can be published if there is an audience for his
stuff, but nobody knows Gottfredson anymore after half a century
of absence...

Oh, yes, there's "us", of course, but we're not "audience", we're
perhaps... 20 ? 30 ?

We could try "evangelizing" people by distributing photostats of
Gottfredson stuff around, or publish them on the net, but I guess
the Disney Company would rather frown upon that...

It'd take an enterprising company with a regular licence to try
that, and still reading between the lines, it seems to me such
company doesn't exist, at the moment...

>under the proper terms and conditions, of course.
>(Aye, there's the rub!)

Indeed, here's the 3 perturbating points :

1. It takes a special licence to publish syndicated stuff
2. Some of it is banned anyway
3. The company is planning a makeover of Mickey in order
   to restore the character to its rightful position (in
   their own way of thinking) of merchandising icon.

It's especially point 3 that I'm worrying about, it seems to
me that reprinting Gottfredson's stuff wouldn't fit with the
concept of a "new image", they might actually want to bury
that old, politically uncorrect stuff as deep as nobody could
ever dig it out...

So, even if the famous enterprising company decided to acquire
the supplementary license, WHAT would they really be allowed
to print ?

Well, it might be just me, but to me it seems the situation
is really dire, without even the need to be pessimistic...

Cheers!

Eta Beta