Florence Quackfaster once again

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Thu Aug 28 12:34:17 CEST 2003

Sorry to bring this up again, but I just need to know...

...Are we sure that Geoffrey Blum was the first to use the name "Florence
Quackfaster"?

I mean, if anyone used the name "Florence" BEFORE Don Rosa wrote Life of
Scrooge, that would make "Florence" _undoubtfully_ the valid name, right?

I'm not saying this happened - because I honestly don't know. But Geoffrey Blum
seems to be a person that does proper research - so if we even can say for sure
that he's read Life of Scrooge (which he must have, as he's written a preface
to it), I find it... strange... that he hasn't noticed this detail. I'm NOT
blaming him for that, as it's easy to overlook something, but I just don't
understand it.

Another option: Is it possible that the name "Florence Quackfaster" has occured
in any private notes or schetches by Carl Barks, which Blum may've had access
to? Pure barksist as he is, I guess Blum would have preferred a "fact" from an
old unpublished Barks-schetch before a comic by someone NOT being Carl Barks,
printed in the early nineties. (In the same way as Sigvald prioritizes Don
Rosa's unpublished schetches before all other creators.)

Sorry to bring up this old discussion again, but I'm just curious. I've always
thought of Geoffrey Blum as a man who does good research, so... what we all
think of as obvious - that Blum didn't notice that Don Rosa already had made a
name for this character - does not sound reasonable to me.

Although, it's probably what's right... I just _HAD TO_ spread some thoughts
about it.

Olaf