Disney Witches revisited

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Fri Aug 29 13:13:59 CEST 2003

RICH BELLACERA, 28-08-2003:

> I'm taking inventory of Disney's witches and hopefully some of you
> can clarify a few points for me.

I very much enjoyed your witches list. What a variation!

> 1) Magica de Spell [...]
> Magica currently lives in an old shack on the side of Mount Vesuvius.

In at least one Barks story, Magica is permanently watched by two observers
who are working for Scrooge.

> 3) Witch Hazel or Hazel Witch
> Her residence is unknown, but is presumably also somewhere in the forest.
> She has no familiar of which I am aware, but she does share a rapport with
> her flying broom which she calls Beelzebub.  Beelzebub is a fully animated
> character.  Her encounters have been mostly with the Ducks and Mouses and
> sometimes with the other witches.  She is not fully good or evil.

At least Frank Jonker has teamed Witch Hazel ("Hortensia Heks") with Madam
Mim. I can't remember if the broom Beelzebub always acts as if it's alive,
or if it sometimes just seems that way because Hazel is talking to it like
a pet.

> 5) Hexis Witch
> The nephew of Hazel Witch who rides a motorized broom.

Magica also has used a motorized broom, it's shown in Barks's Junior
Woodchuck story "Bottled Battlers" (JW 10).

> 7) Granny de Spell
> A portrait of Whistler's Mother aptly describes her appearance.  She
> seems to be just an old sage who tends to annoy Magica.

Does Granny de Spell appear in those stories in which Magica and Madam Mim
live together in a castle? I *love* those stories and the zany, motionless
way the characters are drawn! Who's the artist of these stories?

Maybe it's youth sentiment, if I would have to clarify myself for liking
these particular stories. But hey, isn't a story actually very good when a
kid fondly likes it for the rest of his/her life? And, at the same time,
I also liked Barks very much (not knowing his name), so I can't say I had
a bad taste at the time.

BTW. I'm defending myself against a friend, who thought I was crazy for
liking these stories. (Hi!)

--- Daniël, who has to hurry for lunch...

P.S. I've found out that a hunger strike is very hard with an empty stomach.
And I don't want to give up, so that's why I need lots of food and vitamins
to keep me going on. (You can sponsor me, by the way!)