The Unsafe Safe (US 38) / Rug Riders in the Sky (US 50)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sun Aug 31 20:42:02 CEST 2003

OLIVIER to me, 31-08-2003:

> [The Unsafe Safe (US 38)] Funny story, with a funny running gag.
> The end is a bit rushed, though; the ducks only win by sheer luck;
> there's no fight, it just goes "Fizz! Sput!"

Sorry for just writing down the story title, but I can't resist
replying to this.

I think the sudden, zany ending is part of the fun in a lot of Barks's
stories with Magica. She seems to try to be impressive, but when she
gets frustrated she's humiliated, hissing, snarling, and not so sexy
anymore. Well, the latter is a matter of taste, of course. :-)

The only story where this zany way of story-ending disturbs me, is
"Rug Riders in the sky" (US 50). But this story was cut-down. Barks
describes the cut as "a gag sequence of the ducks chasing east after
Magica, who runs out of 'fuel' and has to land the carpet in the desert.
That would have been about page 13. No doubt readers got more pleasure
from the Bullwinkle Cheerios ad that was made possible by the scrapping
of that page." (March 25, 1989 notes for The Carl Barks Library.)

When Barks's stories are cut-down, his precious composition mostly falls
flat. (IMO) It's like a scratch on a vinyl record, which skips a part of
the song. Even a second is enough to do that, no matter how long the
entire song is.

Before long, I didn't like Magica (Barks or not), but that has completely
changed! And this whole witch/sorceress discussion is an imporant factor
in that change. Thanks, everyone!

--- Daniël