About Pigs and Terries and Fermies

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sun Aug 31 23:37:39 CEST 2003

Hi all!

Very recently pigs in Disney's stories have been an interesting topic here
on DCML. One thread is even called "Pigs is Pigs". Well I can tell you that
some cultures have a much more serious view on this matter than that. I am
thinking about both Moslems and Jews who sees pigs as unclean animals whose
meat should not be eaten. It will thus be interesting if anyone here can
tell us about whether pig-characters do appear in Arab and/or Hebrew Disney
publications, or if they are censored in any of those publications. I don't
know if there are any Moslem DCMLers, but I know for sure that there are
some Jews here – I guess that their views about this topic are very welcome
here.

Recently some of my favourite Barks characters the Terries and Fermies
("Land Beneath the Ground" was one of the very first long Barks tales that I
ever read) have been mentioned here on DCML. I think however that there is
one important thing to add: sometimes they are all colored with the same
color – other times they are colored with a huge variation of colors as in
the Norwegian version of "The Universal Solvent". AFAIK Barks intended them
to be colored with one color only, and that would be with the color of the
surrounding rocks – just like the Square eggs in "Lost in the Andes" - why
else would our Duckburgian friends mistake them for being rocks?

Sigvald