Jose Carioca/Panchito

Rob Klein bi442 at lafn.org
Sat Feb 1 23:18:33 CET 2003

For Fernando: Until Harry Flucks or Daniel van Eijmeren or Roy Kooijman provide
the complete information, I'll try to answer some of your Carioca/Panchito
questions from memory:
The Jose Carioca and Panchito original King Features newspaper strips were
reprinted in The Netherlands during the early 1980s. The Panchito pages were
printed as the back cover of the Dutch Weekly during the last half of 1981.  I
seem to remember some single Panchito pages also printed on an inside page in
1983? The Jose Carioca pages were serialised as two-page segments during 1981-
1983 (not every issue consecutive).

Yes, there was also Dutch own production of both characters' strips. They
started for both in the early 1980s, and have continued 'til the present. There
were a few individual short Carioca stories in the early 1980s of 1-3 pages,
but much production 1984-1986, was from a few 22 page stories and one 44 pager,
serialised in 3 page segments (a few were 2-page)in consecutive Weekly issues.
They were written mainly by Ruud Straatman and drawn by Colomer.  From 1987-
1990, they were short individual stories (1-5 pages), written by Straatman and
a few by Wilma van den Bosch, and drawn by Colomer.  Then, in the early 1990s,
much of the writing was done by Frank Jonker, drawn by Colomer, joined by Mau
and Bas Heijmans (Heymans). There were some longer stories of 20-22 pages
again. In the later 1990s, most stories have been 3-6 pages.   As for Panchito,
the early Dutch production (1980s) were written by Straatman, later joined by
van den Bosch, and drawn by Colomer, of 1-5 pages. Many were drawn by Colomer,
but also by Blai and Studio Bonnet, with a few by Comicup studios.  In the
1990s, most were written by Jonker.  They were all individual stories (no
serialisation).

I'm sure Harry F. will correct any of my misrememberings and add information
(as he did the last time these questions were asked of the list.

Rob Klein

Rob
Klein