DCML digest, Vol 1 #1231 - 4 msgs

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Mon Jan 27 15:35:11 CET 2003

> From: H.W.Fluks at telecom.tno.nl
> Don:
> You once explained to us that Heymans sketched the Ducks on page 1, plus
two
> heads elsewhere in the story. Then you simply inked his sketches.
> Are you saying that there's a different *inked* version of this story ("On
> Silver Platter")?

Yes, but that's not what was claimed here. It was stated that parts of the
story were redrawn by someone, which is not true (at least not true of the
original art, which EXISTS. What I know is that nobody touched the
originals. The art is 100% mine. If portions were redrawn, it was done on
photostats for just that single published instance.

> If that is so, then that version may be regarded "original", but since
it's
> not printed anywhere, you can hardly call it a "standard" version.

I don't know that it's not printed anywhere. I have not compared all the
printings. Neither I nor anyone else knows what version of this story has
been sent by both Egmont & the Dutch publisher to all the other publishers
of my stories around the world, if that has happened. Regardless of what
dubious meanings that the word "standard" might have as regards this story,
the statement was made that the "only version in existence" is what was
printed in the Netherlands, and there's absolutely no basis for such an
assumption. If someone redrew parts of the photostats for the Dutch comic
(and maybe they did if someone says so, I never compared them,,, the
publisher never sent me copies, I may not have even ever *seen* the printed
version) then that was done only for the Dutch publication. If that's the
case, it is certainly not "the only version in existence". We know there
have been many alterations done on various old Disney comic stories over the
years, but I would not hazard to claim which one was "standard" among so
many publishers other than the original version as drawn, nor can one claim
that any altered version is "the only version in existence".