Developing a new readership for the Gemstone comics

Nancy McCallum rnjmvc at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 1 20:47:46 CEST 2003

Yesterday I made my bi-weekly pilgrimage to my local comic shop and was
disheartened to see a box of about 30 Gemstone’s free Comic Book Day comics
sitting by the counter.  When I asked the clerk about it he responded that
they literally couldn’t give them away.  That no one was interested in them.
  This leaves me to wonder how Gemstone is planning on marketing their new
line of Disney comics.  At one point some one from Gemstone said they were
going to try to place the new line in stores such as Wal-Mart and other
chain stores in order to boost circulation.  How are these plans going?
I am very worried that there is a lost generation or more accurately
generations of Americans who have no sense of history or connection with
Disney comics and that without the infusion of new blood Gemstone cannot
possibly survive just selling to the nostalgic geriatrics like myself.

Rob McCallum