Rosa Analysis

Thomas Pryds Lauritsen thomas at duckburg.dk
Mon Jun 2 22:57:33 CEST 2003

Arie Fachrisal wrote:
> When i read that story, i got different "meaning/impression" from that
> story. The 1st page showed scrooge has a softer side for the animals. and at
> the last page, he was seen using the "plate" to serve the birds the food.
> though he was once a king, once it's over, scrooge saw the "plate" nothing
> but mere old metal suited to feed the pigeons.

I think too, that Scrooge has a much softer heart than he shows to his
surroundings -- something we see both with the pigeons in His Majesty
McDuck and in other stories.

But I'm not sure I agree 100% that at the end of the story, Scrooge saw
the plate as nothing more than a metal plaque suitable for feeding
pigeons. As I see it, he's still sad that it wasn't worth it being king
(i.e. have a lot of money repaid) -- too much trouble in it -- and he
keeps the plaque as a (secret) memory of the whole incident, and
probably to remind him that it's the little things that make your inner
heart happy, not the things that make you look happy or powerful (as you
put it) for when he's in a sentimental mood (and indeed it *has* a
practical use, too). After all, he could have used any other flat object
(wooden plate, etc.) for feeding the pigeons. But he didn't.

Thomas