Three favourite comics and how my collectio'n got started

Ola Martinsson Ola.Martinsson at uab.ericsson.se
Tue Jun 3 12:55:12 CEST 2003

In my case it has to be these three. And it's all due to nostalgic
reasons. I read these in Swedish Disney comics in 1973 when I was 12
years old. A friend of mine had inherited a bunch of old Disney comics
from his older brother and I borrowed them and read them through. And
the first one that really got to me was.

1. The flying dutchman. Published as a serial in three parts in Kalle
Anka & c:o ( a Swedish WDC) in 1962 I think. I thought that it was both
very exciting and full of suspence and humour. This dark threat all
through the story of this mysterious enemy. And then the logic and
explaining ending of the story. It has been my favourite Disney story
ever since.

2. The Paul Murry 5 part remake of Gottfredssons story where Black Pete
abducts women from a dude ranch. Minnie and Clarabelle are there so
Mickey and Goofy come to rescue them from this gentleman bandit. They
don't know then that it is Black Pete. The story had suspense and
science and lot's of humour. Published in 5 parts in 1962.

3. The old castle's secret. Published in one part in 1966 in a comic
named Walt Disney's serier ( WD comics). This title was used for longer
stories but most of them were still serialised in the weekly Kalle Anka.

These old comics were from 1956 (one issue) up till 1966. Most of them
were from 1961 to 1963. In all issues there was at least one serial.
That meant that most of the time I couldn't read the full story because
one or more part were in an issue that were missing from this pile of
comics. I was ever so glad that the two above were complete. Another
favourite that also was complete was Land of the Pygmee indians.

Later on when I was 18 I bought this stack of comics from him. They are
not fine copies, they mostly were in a Good rating. Quite a few of them
lacked cover and some missed the midpages sot that would mean Poor.
Although at this time I was completely unaware of such things as quality
ratings on comics. I was ever so happy to find a Disney comic from the
-60:ies even if it didn't have a cover or even if the mid pages were
missing. So when I bought these we were talking of about 1 Swedish krona
apeice if it was complete. This was very cheap I have understood later
on. Anyhow this stack of comics and my own Kalle Anka which I got my
first in 1967 ( still got it, it has no cover and is taped ) was what
started my wish to have more of these wonderful comics.

I had begun buying the weekly regularly in the mid of 1968 and had
almost every issue of 1969. Then in 1970 my parents subscribed to the
weekly for me and I have been a subscriber ever since.

I remember the joy when I got the money on Saturday to go to the Tobacco
store to buy the next issue of the weekly. I opened it immediately many
times and stood outside the Tobacco store to read the continuation of
the serial. Often the Mickey and Goofy Paul Murry stories. Of course by
that time I didn't have the faintest Idea about different artists. I
didn't even think about that some human being did the stories. I just
knew that my favourite ones were these were Mickey and Goofy was drawed
the way they were, that is by  Paul Murry. And then there from time to
time was some stories that were labeled "Favorit i repris" (Favourite in
reprint) that I liked very much. These were either 10 page Barks that
were for some reason badly reproduced. When I look at them it seems that
if someone else were trying to fill in the original drawings lines to
make them stronger. Also Donald's beak was redrawn and shortened. The
same filling in seems to be the case for the 8 page Li'l Wolf that were
also reprinted. If you compare them with the original thin lines from
the comics of the 40:ies the reprints have coarse and thick lines.

Can anyone here answer the question on why the reprints had so much
lower quality artwise ?

Shortly after I bought this stack of comics i found a shop for used
coins stamps books and comics in our city of Norrköping. I sometimes
found some missing comics there but they were mostly newer ones that I
already had. Then in the winter that year there was the whole year of
the weekly from 1961 on the shelf. I can't remember what it cost but it
was to me a lot of money ( would guess at about 700-800 Swedish krona).
I did not have a job and I only got a small allowance from my parents.
As soon as I saw it I knew I gotta have it. I didn't have enough money
on me and I could not get back in time to buy it the same day before the
shop closed. So I was going to go there the next day. I couldn't get the
shop keeper to put it away for me so I HOOOOOOOPED that noone would buy
it before me. Come morning and I had 39 degrees of fever (102.2
Farenheit) so I couldn't bicycle down to the shop or to whitdraw money
on the postoffice. So I begged my father to lend me the money and to
drive me there all wrapped up in lots of clothes and he did. I still
remember when I came out of the shop and he answered me if I was pleased
now, with a smile on his face. He couldn't and has never understood my
passion for comics but he was obviously happy that he could make his son
happy by doing this favour.

So I was sick for some days but it sure didn't bother me none !!!

And about a half year later I saw an ad in "buy and sell" in the paper
for the complete 1957, 1958 and 1959 of the weekly. I do remember that
he asked for 500 Swedish krona per year and I thought that it was quite
much, but I was hooked. He turned out to be a dealer and so I was
introduced to comicdom for real.

Around this time you got about 5 Swedish krona for a US dollar.

Of course later on I have found out that the weekly from the -60:ies are
  available in abundance in moderate quality ratings VG or so. But I
remember how jealous I was on my friend for having these old Disney
comics. And boy did I want to have them instead but he was not willing
to sell them then.

Well, hope this long mail was interesting to some of you at least.

Ola in a blue skye Stockholm +28