1960's Barks classics

rob gibson robgsb at rain.org
Sat Jun 7 06:47:21 CEST 2003

I like the message in the 1960 story where they are exploring a crater
somewhere in Arabia to fill with petroleum and the kids discover a race of
small people who will be drowned if they go forward (I recall the phrase "Big
Operator"). This is a good story about ethics versus profit margins.

Some of his 10 pagers are also excellent. "Madcap Mariner" and the remake of
the rejected 1945 Christmas story are hilarious. I suspect the fact that he
was turning out so many pages in those days may have caused him to cut corners
on some stories, but he certainly still did brilliant stories when he chose to
take the time.