1960s Barks classics

Gunnarsson, Joakim SE - HMJ Joakim.Gunnarsson at egmont.se
Sat Jun 7 14:45:26 CEST 2003

Daniel wrote:
	>>>That's why I
> think that Barks's 1960s stories and their technique are underestimated
> by a lot of people, and that these stories deserve far more attention and
> appreciation. >>>

	I couldn't agree more. While his stories from the late 40's and the
early 50's are generally concidered classics, his storytelling and artwork
was boiled down to feature only the most essential in the mid- late 60's.
Only what's really needed to tell a good story is there. Art is done with
bold ink lines and with knowledge of exactly what will work and not. If you
look closely at the ducks their anatomy and poses is not as well definied as
in the 50's but they work because of the *acting* Barks was so good at.
	Beeing an art editor myself I see too many samples of comic book art
sent here, where the artist is so focused on getting the poses and anatomy
right, the panels and characters becomes lifeless.
	Making the ducks act and showing their emotions/feelings/ through
acting, treating their personalities as if they were *humans* is for me the
clue why Barks storytelling and artwork stands out from most other Disney
artists from that era. And still does for that matter.

	/Joakim Gunnarsson.