New Gemstone comics

deanmary deanmary at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 26 19:58:35 CEST 2003

    I get my comics via a subscription service and thus wouldn't get
the two new Gemstone comics for a few weeks yet, but I could not let
yesterday go by without buying one of the new Gemstone comics!  I
picked up Uncle Scrooge #319 and my one word to sum it up is WOW!

    Before I could even really look at any of the stories I was highly
impressed by something!  One of my biggest complaints about
Gladstone's prestige format comics was that they were bound in such a
way that made them hard to read; they did not open naturally like a
"regular" comic.  Well I have this complaint no more!  I don't know
what Gemstone is doing different, but now the comic opens up much more
and is much easier to hold and read.  So even before I read one story
the comic is getting an "A+" from me!

    Inside is an add for Comic Book Marketplace #103 which will have
as its focus Disney comics.  There will be an interview with John
Clark about Gemstone and also a history of Disney comics.  So
hopefully in it there will be some neat news about some more of
Gemstone's upcoming plans.

    As for the issue itself, I have not read Don's "The Dutchman's
Secret" yet as I am "saving" that to read a few days from now.  Two of
the other stories in this issue were a 6 page Gyro story and a 4 page
story with Scrooge and Fethry.  Both were nice, but nothing fantastic.
I truly loved the last story titled "Family of Fore", a 14 page story
by John Lustig and Vicar.  The story involved golf which was a great
start for me.  I don't play golf, but stories involving Donald and
golf always seem to work out very well.  This time Donald was a
bystander though as Scrooge was the one who had to be good at golf.
The story also features Flintheart Glomgold who is welcome in a Duck
story just about any time.  Finally, the writing by John Lustig had
some particularly entertaining phrases, such as "bouncin' baby
carriages", and the name of deceased golf fanatic of the story being
named "Bogey McDivot".

    I can't express how excited I am to have Disney comics back!  We
Disney comic fans have had to wait over 4 years which was 4 years too
much by my way of thinking!  At last they are back though and if US
#319 is any indication, they are back better than ever!  (And I
haven't even read Don's story yet! :))

Dean Rekich