Mickey's Character

Danehog@aol.com Danehog at aol.com
Wed Mar 12 22:39:50 CET 2003

In a message dated 3/12/2003 9:04:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
John.Crocker at dvn.com writes:

> Anyway, I'm really enjoying the strips each day and must say that I never
> realized that after the few airplane strips that Mickey spent so much time
> on an island.  It seems most strange b/c there isn't much development of
> the character, but instead he just simply jumps into some escapades.  Any
> thoughts on why this would be....?  Do we already know alot about Mickey
> through other media by the time of the strips?

Well, I never really thought that Mickey HAD much character to begin with.
Any medium that involves him--the cartoons, the comics, what have you--seem
to be more focused on the plots, as opposed to the developing of the actual
character. I think the Duck books are far from this, which is one of the many
reasons for their appeal. (Still, I really enjoy some of the older Mickey
strips.)

I wouldn't blame it on a specific writer or artist; it's really just the way
the Mickey "universe" (I hate that term) is. Unless someone comes along and
dramatically changes Mickey's character, which I really can't see happening,
I think we're kind of "stuck" in this plot-driven Mickey "universe."
--
Thanks for reading this nonsense,

Dane Martin