The size of the cubic eggs from Plain Awful

Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. sigvald at duckburg.dk
Sat Mar 15 22:27:48 CET 2003

Hi all!

I have never before seen any calculations
concerning the size of the cubic eggs from
Plain Awful, so I decided to find out myself.
My calculations are based on the assumption
that the cubic eggs from Plain Awful are indeed
close to 100% cubic in their shape, and that
they have the same volume as the eggs we are
used to. To find out the lenght of each side
of the cubic eggs I first had to find the volume
of an egg. To do that I used the principles of
the law of Archimedes:

1) First I filled 150 millilitres of water into
a measuring cup.

2) Then I put a rather large egg into the water.

3) The water raised to ca. 220 millilitres.

4) This tells me that the volume of a rather
large egg is ca. 70 millilitres.

5) By calculating the cubic root of 70
(=4,1212853) I have found that each side of
a cubic egg is ca. 4 centimetres (or ca. 1
+9/16 inches).

As I know there are both well educated engineers
and even at least one professor in mathematics
reading this, we might see some qualified
comments about this.

Sigvald :-)