Going Farther than Barks' Original Concepts

Danehog@aol.com Danehog at aol.com
Wed Mar 19 02:17:37 CET 2003

In a message dated 3/18/2003 7:01:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
JALustig at aol.com writes:

> However, from time to time, new things have to be tried. That's what
> creativity is all about.

Agreed!

While I appreciate and respect Barks' "set continuity," I think that other
artists are well-obligated to introduce their own ideas and concepts. Nothing
is set into stone, and--when it all comes down to it--the stories are all
about pure fun, anyway, are they not?

I'm not saying that new concepts should be introduced every story, or even on
a semi-regular basis, but only every once and a while. They shouldn't take
over the Duck "universe," but I think they have just as much right to be
there as the Barks concepts, which seem to have been "set in stone" over the
years.

I respect the Barks stories, of course, don't get me wrong--I just think that
he didn't mean for everything to be set into a particular pattern, trapping
future Duck artists into "following the leader," so to speak. The artists
should show their own style, rather than imitating Barks'--even though a
brilliant style it was.

Of course, I'm rambling now, and I've probably offended most of you with my
bizarre ideas as to how far the Duck stories should go outside of Barks'
original concept. I apologize in advance, but I'm hoping you won't take my
comments too seriously.

I guess this is the part where I hide under the nearest boulder and cry...
--
Thanks for reading this nonsense,

Dane Martin