Question on Walt Disney signatures

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Thu Nov 6 18:38:36 CET 2003

Cord:
>>> And who was the artist who originally designed the famous
>>> Disney signature? It is not Walt's own, if I remember correctly.

Here are two quotes from the excellent "The Hand Behind the Mouse" (Leslie
Iwerks & John Kenworthy)--

"Ubbe had been working for Pesmen-Rubin for a month [ie, since September,
1919] when a young man named Walter Disney walked into the studio office
seeking employment with an impressive portfolio of  drawings. the
seventeen-year old Disney was hired immediately.
[...] In short, the two became fast friends. Ubbe was amused that Walter
always used his own name to practice lettering. Most artists used the
alphabet for practice, but Walter would try different approahces in
designing his own name: Walter Disney, E.E. Disney, Walt Disney, Walter
Elias Disney. Walter asked Ubbe which he preferred. 'Walt Diseny', Ubbe
replied. Walt it was."   (p 4)

"Even the famous signature logo that to this day signifies all things Disney
was manufactured to promote the name 'Walt Disney'. It has been rumored--
and is indeed very likely that the logo, based on Walt Disney's actual
signature, like Mickey Mouse, was first drawn by Ub Iwerks and later
modified by other Disney artists. Regardless of  how it was created or the
artists whose hands graced its delicate curves, it remains every bit Walt
Disney's signature" (pp80-1)

Olivier