Fecchi's style

Olaf Solstrand olaf at andebyonline.com
Sun Nov 9 19:06:55 CET 2003

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Sigvald wrote:
> Secondly I think it's important to notice that it's Americans (Matthew
> Williams and Jonathan H. Gray) who so far has supported the "untraditional
> style" here on DCML in this round. My guess is that it is because that's an
> American style well known from Marwells super hero stories, and from 1999
> to 2003 (in the non-Disney period in the USA) such Marwell stuff was
> probably the comics most commonly read by our two mentioned friends. Thus I
> am not sure if their view are representative for the whole of DCML.

I think it's important to notice that it's a Norwegian (Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr.)
who so far has supported the "traditional style" here on DCML in this round. My
guess is that it is because this is a style he does not know from Dinsei's duck
stories, and from 1990 to 2003 (in the Don Rosa period in Norway) such Dinsei
stuff was probably the comics most commonly read by our mentioned friend. Thus
I am not sure if his view is representative for the whole of DCML.

Sigvald, haven't you noticed that both Brazilians and Norwegians have written
that they LOVE this style?

http://stp.ling.uu.se/pipermail/dcml/2003-October/025375.html
http://stp.ling.uu.se/pipermail/dcml/2003-October/025376.html

Why do you have to always assume that every sane person in the world agree with
you in everything, and if they don't, that's because they've got some bad
influence? It is NORMAL to have different taste. It is NORMAL to accept that
others have different taste than you. And it is NORMAL to accept that not all
comic books are made for you and you alone. It is NOT normal to always think
that everybody agrees with you, like you do in this case. Sigvald, YOU'RE the
_only_ person who's said anything bad about this style so far. Until now, four
or five people have said their opinion against yours. And you just say
that "these people are Americans, thus they've read Marvel, thus they've had
bad influence, thus their opinions aren't important, this everybody agree with
me". It's not like that!

I normally prefer saying things only once, but it's obvious that someone didn't
hear me last time I said it (although he answered me), so: Dear Sigvald, dear
Massimo, I'm a Norwegian, and I'm proud to say that I _LIKE_ Fecchi's panel
design! I even like it _BETTER_ than the traditional style!

But my view may not be that important, as I read as much as *TWO* of Marvel's
superhero stories in my life.

Olaf