Luca: on the Italian translation(s) of Glomgold's name

Marco Barlotti marcobar at ds.unifi.it
Tue Nov 11 11:52:42 CET 2003

At 20.45 10/11/2003 +0100, Luca Boschi <totemboschi at libero.it> wrote:

>it seems that the very
>first Flinthearth's non-barksian story is Italian, and specifically  Zio
>Paperone e il bisbilione, written by Osvaldo Pavese, art by Giuseppe Perego,
>in  "Topolino" n. 608  (23-07-1967).

Correct.

>Moreover, this story also clearly states the *ufficial* Italian translation
>of  Flinthearth Glomgold into Cuordipietra Famedoro, even if this very name
>was used only one time before, in translating original Barks' stories.

Sorry to contradict you, but this is not correct IMHO.
Glomgold appears again a few weeks later on "Topolino" in the story you
certainly know very well I TL 615-A (Paperino e i candidati al CIAO)
written by Guido Martina and drawn by G. B. Carpi. He is called "Mac Gold"
in that story, as you certainly remember.
What you probably forgot is that when a couple of years later Osvaldo
Pavese uses again that character (in the story I TL 813-B (Zio Paperone e
la pepita astrale) again drawn by Perego (!) he calls him "Mac Gold"!!!
So probably in those years somebody (Martina?) had decided that <Mac Gold>
was the Italian name of Flinthearth Glomgold.

When I TL 813-B was reprinted in "Classici Disney" #70, several years
later, the story was partially re-lettered to change all references from
<Mac Gold> to <Cuordipietra Famedoro>. I daresay the name "Cuordipietra
Famedoro" had become "official" by that time...

     Marco

http://www.cce.unifi.it/~marcobar/Comics