Off-topic and very off-topic

Klaus Harms harms313 at web.de
Wed Nov 12 15:43:38 CET 2003

Hi,

The off-topic part: A few weeks (or months?) ago, someone (was it Cord?)
put my attention to the new (third) wave of the Disney Treasures DVD
edition (region 1 only), which was scheduled to present (among other
material) the Chronological Donald Duck, the remaining color Mickey
Mouse shorts, and WWII Disney animation. The sets were announced to be
released early in December 2003. Now the Walt Disney Company has decided
to postpone the release into May of 2004 (reportedly due to capacity and
marketing reasons, and not due to censorship issues). On the other hand,
some DVDs from the first wave (Silly Symphonies, early color Mickey
Mouse shorts) are announced to be released in the UK (region 2).

The very off-topic part: Sigvald Grøsfjeld jr. <sigvald at duckburg.dk>

(http://www.quarterbin.net/profiles/pro22.html):

> Activity 3: Flaming, Heckling, and Inciting

> For some small subsection of Netizens, the Internet provides a rich market for insulting, browbeating, annoying, slandering, and generally harassing their fellow man. The ability to disguise oneself as text attached to an obfuscating handle tempts a such people, whom convention names trolls, to find their own pleasure by creating displeasure in others.

> Another variety of troll doesn't necessarily seek the displeasure of others so much as attention in whatever variety they can elicit it. As some children seek what counsellors call "bad attention," so too do some posters who probably passed the age of seeking bad attention many years before.

> Since either form of trolling has some reward the troll seeks, strategy suggests that one can discourage trolls by denying him his treat. Whether the treat includes angry and contentious responses or simple attention, the principle fire follows fuel (or, less politely, effluvia attract flies) suggests starving the troll should serve somewhat to discourage his unwanted behavior.

PLONK!
(and this time you stay in my kill filter forever!)

Klaus