Question about a Barks's story: W US 19-04 Gyros Builds a BetterHouse

Olivier mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr
Wed Nov 12 17:50:48 CET 2003

Hi everyone!
(Maybe I ought to yell so that I'll be heard over the clamor? I hope not)

Dario:

>>> I have a question about the story W US 19-04 "Gyros Builds a Better
House".
>>> Carl Barks has drawn some sheets of paper, on the ground.
>>> There are 3 of them (page 2: second and third panels, page 3: sixth
panel).
>>> These sheets of paper are postal letters, with the sender's name in
show.

>>> Are these letters also present in the original version of the story?

They sure are.
p 2 panel 2: "Callous Alice from Corvallis"
p 2 panel 3: "Flouncy Flo From Kokomo"
p 3 panel 6: "Clammy Sammy from Alabammy"

>>> If yes, what is the meaning of these letters?
>>> Perhaps a homage to some fanses?

They're just puns for the sake of  it; I can't imagine anyone really being
called "Flouncy Flo". I have the faint remembrance of  such puns being
mentionned on the DCML a few months ago, but certainly couldn't tell you
when by whom and about what.
You can find more such letters & puns in a few other stories; I'm sure I've
seen some recently, but can't remember in which story, and I don't have time
to search-- sorry.
The fun here consists in making up funny names and addresses with
alliterations, unusual and funny-sounding places (Kokomo) and phonetic
transcriptions (Alabammy).

They are just like the inventions in Gyro's workshop (eg, "August Accident",
Mickey Mouse Almanac 1, Dec '57: the gold separator that separates "Sane
Gold" from "Fool's Gold") or the pictures in Uncle Scrooge's office ("Bum
Dollar", "Fast Buck"-- treasure hunt time! find the stories! ie, I don't
remember where these are from, sorry).

All the best,

Olivier