DCML Digest Issue 26

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Wed Nov 12 18:41:22 CET 2003

> From: Olaf Solstrand <olaf at andebyonline.com>
> Subject: Re: Valuable Duck-book found in margarine crate
> At andebyonline.com, we've been discussing this issue for a few days. The
> question raised most is: "If you found the first years of Donald
> Duck & Co in a
> margarine box - would you sell them?" Most people say no.

The older members of this ML will recall that I once found the first ten
issues of KALLE ANKA & CO. in the "miscellaneous" (not "margarine", but
close) box of a comic dealer at a convention. They were $10 each, not
because anyone in America wanted them, but simply because they were such old
MINT FILE COPIES -- they had belonged to a Gutenberghus employee who moved
to America about 40 years ago and had given the issues to a babysitter just
for fun. That kid sold them for pennies to this comic dealer. I bought them
just to rescue them from oblivion. During one trip to Sweden, I loaned them
to a toy/children's literature museum in Stockholm where (I assume!) they
are still on display. (Somebody go check!) I don't know if I'll sell them or
eventually donate them to some archive, but all I knew was that they
belonged back home in Sweden, not in Texas!