King George/Scarecrow/Patrick McGoohan

L. Schulte lschulte at sfstoledo.org
Thu Nov 13 20:25:23 CET 2003

The three Georges of England were Germans first, I would think, and
Englishmen second: I don't want to give a history of England in the 1700's,
but in general they are not as important politically as the prime
ministers.  After the Glorious Revolution in England, Parliament calls more
and more of the shots, and prime ministers like Walpole and Pitt become
much more important.  In America of course, George III was demonized as the
symbol of oppression, but that tends to be more propaganda than truth.
Anyway, The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh was one of my favorite mini-series on
the old "Walt Disney" TV show.  It starred Patrick McGoohan, before he
became more famous in England as Danger Man, and then in America as Secret
Agent.  Later he became almost legendary with his series The Prisoner.  I
have been hoping that Disney would release Scarecrow with McGoohan on tape
or DVD.  My brother believes it was released briefly on videotape in the
1980's.  If my memory is stiil correct, it was quite well done.