Sands of Time & Barks Quiz

Klartekst info at klartekst.no
Tue Nov 25 00:31:26 CET 2003

Olaf wrote:

I just discovered that not only is there made a comic from
this story - D 6856,
script Tom Anderson/art Vicar - but it's reprinted in
Scandinavian Donald Duck
weeklies 48-2003!

And I add:

When Gladstone published the tale in U$ #216, they printed
an accompanying article giving us the story behind the
story. It seems that in the late 1960s the Danish Disney
publisher Gutenberghus (later Egmont) asked Barks to do a
plot outline. He wrote "Go Slowly Sands of Time", but the
Danish adaption was not completed until 1983. This is the
story that Olaf refers to. But before that, Celestial Arts
had used the tale in their giant Barks Anthology "Uncle
Scrooge McDuck - His Life & Times" published in 1981. In
this version, the story is illustrated in storybook style by
Barks himself. Then, when Gladstone published the comics
version in 1987, it was scripted by Geoffrey Blum who based
his dialog on the Celestial Arts text. It's a fantastic
story - whether you believe Scrooge is immortal or not.

And then a reminder:

"I see the eastbound bus from Duckburg is pulling in." Which
Barks story?

No response to this one so far. Here's a hint: They're in
the dessert and they're eating ice cream.

Nils Smeby