W.I.T.C.H.

Eta Beta psersimmon at eega.net
Fri Apr 2 13:15:27 CEST 2004

Mike Rhode, reporting from the Post:

>Several years ago, the Italian group was assigned "to
>come up with a concept that would appeal primarily to
>girls," says Ellen Morgenstern, communications director
>for Disney Publishing Worldwide.

I'm not sure this is entirely correct...

However, I think this interviewd lady hits the spot when
she says:

>She adds, "Why give children books that encourage them
>to watch television?"

While not a fan of W.I.T.C.H. myself, probably for both
age and gender reasons, I've read some early issues in
original Italian and I must say they're very good in their
genre, *especially* for the beautiful art, a nice balance
of manga and "classic" influences.

These are indeed good *comics*, and Disney U.S.A. are making
a big mistake in turning them into a mere merchandising ploy.

Cheers!

Eta Beta