Big artists and plain nuts (Rosa's own li'l Universe)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sat Apr 3 07:38:50 CEST 2004

KAI SAARTO to me, 03-04-2004:

> [Rosa's] work is based on characters created by others and with
> elements used by Barks in his stories, but that's it. That's hardly
> unheard of in comic business - and everyone who does mouse or duck
> stories is doing it the same way - basing it to the work of others.

Just name three Disney artists who do that so heavily and structurally
as Don Rosa, complete with interpolated dates and facts. I can't think
of any.

> Additionally, to blame *one author* of re-using Barks's story elements
> when there are hundreds is plain crazy or very ignorant.

*Hundreds* of authors re-using Barks elements like Rosa does?
I want to hear names.

> Sometimes its fun to argue about things you like.  I've been to many
> mailing lists and all the active ones have heated conversations from
> time to time. Still, it never ceases to amaze me how resentful some
> people seem to be. And  some are just plain nuts, like the Barks fans
> ones you were quoting above.. :-)

Why does a person need to be "resentful" or full of "envy" if he thinks
that Rosa is raping the Barks universe? I really don't get that point.
People who think that Rosa is a bad writer and/or bad artist have "mental
problems" by default? Is that the point?

Well, I know at least two popular Disney Duck artists who have very strong
feelings about Rosa's attitude to the Disney universe and Barks's in
particular. I've personally witnessed them saying that. Are these artists
plain nuts? Why? Because they dislike Rosa's work?

But however crazy these artists might be, I'm sure they are not envious
about Rosa's work. That would be quite a laugh, because they have quite a
talent and reputation themselves, being very passionate about Disney comics.

One artist almost choked when I told him that Scrooge died in 1967. And it
didn't get any better when I told him about the Disney Ducks suddenly being
"mammal ducks". He was *very* upset about that.

BTW. I think that anyone who calls someone else crazy, should know that if
you point at someone else, three of your fingers point back at you. (Except
when you're a Disney character, then only two of your fingers point back.)

CHRIS HILBIG, 02-03-2004:

> In fact people even create universes within universes, just look at
> Marvel comics.

I don't like Marvel comics. I like Disney comics. If the Disney comics
would become like Marvel comics, I would stop reading them.

> Now does that mean we shouldn't have spirited debate on this list, of
> course not. I think it's good thing and make the list more interesting.

I second that. Even now I know that you were not really seconding me! :-)

--- Daniël