Gemstone Complaints and Compliments

Søren Krarup Olesen raptus at stofanet.dk
Mon Apr 5 19:22:35 CEST 2004

Hey Daniel J. Neyer,

I *did* in fact read the paragraphs before this but...

> So, to sum up: More Rosa, more Van Horn, more little-seen Barks. More
>  Byron Erickson, more vintage Bucky and Zeke Wolf. No more Geoffrey
> Blum, no more I-Team, and give us David Gerstein, Romano Scarpa, Paul
> Murry, and the shamefully ignored Floyd Gottfredson in the Mouse
> department rather than Pat McGreal, Don Markstein, or Noel Van Horn.

Smiling and giggling a bit on this conclusion... Funny reading indeed.
What I like most is your unlimited opinion of liking this and not liking
that. If Daniël (and ol' timer Sigvald) had the same opportunities, this
DCML mailing list would be much richer in terms of expressing views that
were or were not popular.

In fact I don't disagree much on your points of view, with a few
exceptions (and those are all in MHO):

1) William van Horn is highly over-estimated. The plots are boring and
too much Barks wannabe, and the drawings are (sigh) plain amateurish.
You'll find faces which doesn't match the size of the bodies of the
ducks, eyeballs not looking in the right direction and more (Don Rosa,
despite his minor inability to draw ducks is very superior to that of
William's!)

2) Noel is brilliant. Especially his Goofy is excellent--reminds me of
early Bottaro or something.

3) The Pat McGreal and wife have made great stories for many years, and
I certainly hope they'll continue to do so. They are extremely
productive so of course there are stories which you don't like so much,
but still...

All for now,
Søren