Gemstone complaint department

rodney-selfhelpbikeco@juno.com rodney-selfhelpbikeco at juno.com
Tue Apr 6 15:35:11 CEST 2004

I agree completely with Daniel Neyer on his opinions about the Gemstone line, but with one small change.  I really like Noel Van Horn's art, and as I recall, he doesn't write his own stories most of the time.  One can't really blame the mediocre quality of the writing on him, as he only does the art........and generally does it very well.

I'm also glad to see that the trial of Riverside Rovers stories is over, and I dearly hope that we won't be seeing any more of them.  I fully understand trying to lure new, younger readers in with these books, but there must be some way to do it than with lifeless morality plays.

I'm also protesting the no-reprint rule in the 32 page books.  If we want kids to really grow to love Disney comics, they need to see how great they were in the past as well.  Printing an *occasional* (perhaps 3 times a year) Barks 10 pager, or maybe running a 3 part serial from the back of an old WDCS issue would be a great way to do that.  Others may disagree saying that we've seen the bulk of that many, many times, but not everyone has.  There's still Barks material that I'm yet to read, and I look forward to seeing it in the Gemstone books.  I haven't managed to yet, but I have high hopes.

rodney.