Duck Tales (was Rosa's Universe)

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Wed Apr 7 00:11:20 CEST 2004

Daniel J. Neyer wrote:

> DUCKTALES was unpopular because they changed the Duck Family
> dynamic, replaced Donald with Launchpad, made the Nephews Scrooge's
> adopted kids, introduced Webby and Mrs. Beakley, and completely
> changed the personality and appearance of the Beagle Boys.

"Duck Tales" was unpopular? It ran for 100 episodes and a theatrical
feature. Or did you mean it was unpopular with comic book fans?

Anyway, Donald wasn't "replaced" with Launchpad -- in my opinion, they
have two very different roles in the duckiverse. And the other changes I
can live with, too. Don't like the Nephews living with Scrooge? Pretend
it was only temporary. Don't like Webby and Mrs Beakley? After the
theatrical feature, Mrs Beakley was caught stealing housekeeping money
and had to vacate her position. Webby was moved to foster parents in
Kuala Lumpur. Don't like the "Duck Tales" Beagle Boys? There are a lot
of "alternative" Beagles in the regular comic books, such as Cousin Zero
and Supersensitive-666 (later renamed Supersensitive-176). Pretend the
"Duck Tales" characters are merely relatives of the "standard Beagles"
seen in Barks' stories.

See? You don't have to feel Barks was violated, as long as you're
willing to accept explanations such as these...

Lars