Donald as newpaper reporter in Lost Beneath the Sea and Dime and Dime Again

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sat Apr 10 18:02:27 CEST 2004

Here's some more information about Donald as newspaper reporter in
Barks's 'Lost Beneath the Sea' and Blum/Mota's 'From Dime to Dime'
(a.k.a. 'Dime and Dime Again').

About 'Lost Beneath the Sea', Barks wrote in an April 22, more or less,
1991 letter to Don Rosa:

"I agree with you that the Number One Dime should not be treated as a
*good luck charm*. It contradicts the way Uncle Scrooge *really* made
his fortune, but woe is me! I blatantly violated that rule in at least
one story, U.S. #46, "Lost Beneath the Sea." I not only had Scrooge
calling the old dime a "boodle-bringer," I demonstrated such powers at
points in the story."

Barks tried to explain the "boodle-bringer" good luck charm concept
away in a new story synopsis, included as part of the letter.

Most of this synopsis has been converted into a story titled 'From
Dime to Dime', retitled 'Dime and Dime Again' (D D 2001-004). Written
by Geoffrey Blum, drawn by Carlos Mota. Published in Gemstone's 'Uncle
$crooge 321' and 'Uncle $crooge 322'.

Maybe this explains the connection between Donald's job as newspaper
reporter in 'Lost Beneath the Sea' and Blum's story adaptation of
Barks's dime synopsis.

BTW. A difference is that in Blum's story, Donald has a photo camera
and tries to make some photo's.

My email of 21 June 2003 contains more information on Barks's synopsis.
http://stp.ling.uu.se/pipermail/dcml/2003-June/023412.html

--- Daniël

"Take your bulb horns and go back to Bulgaria!"

hint #1: "The Love Song Of A Bulgarian Tree Toad!"
hint #2: "My word! What UNUSUAL answers!"
hint #3: "Yoo hoo! One - two - three! Testing!"