Barks horror stories / money bin employees

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Mon Apr 12 14:07:56 CEST 2004

JEAN MARC BANO to me, 12-04-2004:

> may be my comments were exaggerated about The Golden Fleecin but
> i feel that the harpies are a little bit creepy albeit the dragon
> at the end of the story is very funny;

I was curious about the definition of the word "horror", and if 'The
Golden Fleecing' (US 12) would within that definition.

I'm also thinking of stories like 'The Old Castle's Secret' (OS 189)
and 'Voodoo Hoodoo' (OS 238). Do they fit within the definition of
horror?

Or are they "thrillers"? I've always thought that horror was about
10 litres of blood coming from just one person. But as I have a weak
heart, I'm not quite an expert on either "horrors" or "thrillers". :-)

> about the solitude of Scrooge in the money bin, i recognize the
> quantity of employees is not a criterion to consider the degree of
> solitude of Scrooge in the money bin,

Why not? I think it's a very good criterion.

> but in these sixties italian stories i feel Scrooge rather alone in
> his money bin, more alone than in the Barks stories;

I only thought you meant that Scrooge got more lonely in Barks stories
as well, through the years. So, that's why I commented that I don't see
a significant difference within Barks's work. I wasn't discussing the
Italian stories, or any other non-Barks stories.

> however his relatives are always around him in all the stories of the
> world, so, this consideration isn't really important

Not important? Don't underestimate yourself! This could be an interesting
discussion about Scrooge, his sollitude, and his employees, in stories by
different artists. You have seen some interesting differences, I think.

Has anyone else seen the differences, too?

I hope you'll continue writing emails.

--- Daniël