Rabbit eggs (still in time for Easter?)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Mon Apr 12 20:34:19 CEST 2004

MATTHEW WILLIAMS to NILS SMEBY, 06-04-2004:

> Oh!  Do any of you remember the rabbit eggs story?  THAT is the one
> Barks story that I find offensively bad.  Donald and Scrooge doesn't
> realize that rabbits don't lay eggs until the end?  Ugh!

That's the art-only 'Delivery Dilemma' (WDC 291).

The wild rabbit eggs didn't bother me at all. Maybe it's because I find
the rest of the story so exciting, with Scrooge's extravagant attempts
to keep some silly eggs safe during a travel. That's already a great
moment on its own, I think.

And Scrooge might be stupid because of not thinking twice about wild
rabbit eggs, he still keeps his fortune because the Beagles Boys were
even *more* stupid than him, by mentioning the made-up "wild rabbit"
in the contract. If they just would have mentioned "eggs", they would
have had Scrooge's fortune. I liked that!

I think both the adventurous travel and this final spin, safe the story
from being poor. But that's just a matter of taste, of course.

Though Barks's records indicate that he did not originate this story, a
full "shooting script" in his holograph survives, showing that he reworked
the original idea so much as to make it his own. (Source: The Carl Barks
Library (10C-615).

I'm curious for the differences between the shooting script and Barks's
final result. For example, I would like to know if the wild rabbit eggs
and the final twist were in the shooting script as well.

--- Daniël

"GROAN! Gasp! Alas! Alas! Oh, woe! Alas!"
(Which Barks story?) :-)

hint #1: it's not the spring gun canon story (WDC 134)