SV: Barks horror stories / Mad dentists

Martin S. Thoresen mindlink at netcom.no
Tue Apr 13 15:46:43 CEST 2004

dcml-bounces at stp.ling.uu.se wrote:
> MARTIN THORESEN to me, 12-04-2004:
>
>> To me, 10 litres of blood define the limit when a "horror" becomes
>> a "splatter" and loses it's "scary-ness".
>
> Losing it's scary-ness? Not for me.
> I already faint when I see a bottle of tomatoe ketchup! :-)
>
> So, needless to say, I rarely watch bloody movies.

I rarely watch them too, but for the above reason, anything
with that much blood and gore becomes simply disgusting or
ridiculous, and that loses the "scary" atmosphere for me.

>> But, the definition of "horror" is a much debated one, and most
>> people differ in their opinions about the genre.
>> For instance, Agatha Christies crime-novels have often been defined
>> as "horror". I can only give my own definition of "horror", and that
>> is something that gives me a creepy feeling, that has a definite
>> spooky atmosphere and builds up slowly.
>
> In The Netherlands we use the (untranslated) terms "horror" and
> "thriller" for movies. Are we the only ones who seem to make a
> distinction between these two terms?

Oh no, I also make distinctions between "horror" and "thriller",
"thriller" to me is a story that's exciting and often convoluted,
but not neccesarily with a "scary" atmosphere. Like for instance,
a who-dunnitt or bank heist story would be a "thriller" to me.
Some movies blend the genres too, "The Ninth gate" would be a good
example of a "horror/thriller" movie/book.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0142688/
A horror, or in particular, a "gothic horror", can contain elements
of the thriller, but it must also present a psychological twist, hinting
at possible unseen horror/danger. Often putting the protagonist in a
life-threatening or uncomfortable situation.

> I think 'Dangerous Disguise' (OS 308) might be a "thriller" according
> to that distinction. But I'm only guessing here!

Well, that story is more of a spy-thriller, although it does have
some scary elements (among them Bark's humans).

> Other examples of Barks horror stories would be 'the Terror of the
> River!!' (OS 108), and 'The Firebug' (OS 108). Right?

I can't place these stories at the moment. Care to give me a short resymèe?

> Just an off-topic thought: Has there ever been a horror movie about a
> mad, evil dentist? :-) That's just about the most horrible theme I
> can imagine. Even without blood. Brrrr!!!

Oh, yes. Haven't seen it myself, but remember it from a videoshelf
long time ago. Ah, yes, here it is: (The Dentist, 1996)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116075/
I'm sure there are many more.

> And to make it on-topic: Has there ever been a Disney story with such
> a mad dentist theme?

I seem to recall a Mickey-story involving a mad dentist, with Goofy
being on the receiving end, but I'm not sure.

- Martin