DCML Digest

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Tue Apr 13 18:15:52 CEST 2004

I hope I'm safe in saying that we all noticed the brilliant illustration in
the past Digest of the polar-opposite dichotomy of opinions of readers of
even a single story, eh?

One reader of my "Forget It!" says I explained Magica's spell far too well
and that he would have enjoyed the story much more if I had not been so
direct but had rather left it to the reader himself to figure out what was
going on.

Meanwhile another reader of the *same* story says that he never could quite
entirely figure out what was happening and would have enjoyed the story more
if I had explained Magica's spell more clearly.

Heh heh.

This shows, as I've said in the past, how I can allow myself to listen to my
readers' opinions, but there's no earthly way I can ever allow myself to be
swayed by anything they say since reader opinions don't simply "vary", they
cover the entire spectrum from one extreme to the other, and everywhere in
betwixt. So, ultimately, that makes my job easy -- I can only continue as
always to tell my stories only as *I* personally see fit, and then just hope
for the best.