Jippes, Heymans, Barks, Woodchucks / Timo's Quiz

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Tue Apr 13 23:03:25 CEST 2004

MARTIN THORESEN to me, 13-04-2004:

>> I like most of [Barks's seventies Woodchuck stories].
>> Especially when drawn by Daan Jippes.

> Personally, I really don't care for Jippes's drawings, I find them
> to be too bland and rough, more like a sketch than a finished drawing.

Jippes's current art looks rougher than his early art, I think. And I
like his early art the best.

Still, I like his rougher style for the Woodchuck pencil scripts. (Maybe
it's because they remind of Barks's rough pencil style, thus making the
art look more authentic?) But sometimes I find it gets too much, and then
I dislike it. So, I hope he won't go too far with this new style.

> To me it's puzzling that they've chosen him to draw these unreleased
> Barks stories, when there are so many other talents available.

One story has been drawn by Mau Heymans. It's 'Music Hath Charms' (JW 21 /
H 92020). I find it beautiful, but in my opinion he has crossed a limit
by... gasp... *changing* some of the panel layouts. That's a common
practice for an artist when drawing a script. But this is a BARKS script!
And maybe Mau had better layouts in these panels, I really don't know.
All I can remember is that these panels were different than the ones in
Barks's script! That alone made it hard for me to appreciate Mau's results.

All my blind eyes can see are questions like:
"How would these panels have looked if Mau would just have followed
Barks's style?"

Needless to say, working on those Barks scripts looks a bit like slavery:
"Don't think for yourself! We only need your Barksian style! Just fill in
what's there! Don't make us Barks freaks disappointed!"  ;-D

It's an unthankful job, that way. But I find the the overall results so
nice that most of these stories look like "lost classics" to me.

> But I understand now that people are pleased with the efforts, so I
> guess it's allright then. I shan't be the one to complain the highest
> either, as most of those stories haven't been very interesting either.

I find your complaints interesting to read. They help me to look at those
stories in a different way.

>> "This is quite a mystery! Let's sit down with some pop and sandwiches
>> and figure it out!"

> Could it be the one where Donald & Daisy are on a picnic and the nephews
> are trying to sabotage? Probably not, but until further hints, this is my
> guess.

WDC 79 is the answer to *Timo's Quiz*. (The one about the buxom bumble bee.)

After many years, someone has finally solved it! :-)

--- Daniël

"This is quite a mystery! Let's sit down with some pop and sandwiches
and figure it out!"

(Which Barks story?) :-)

hint #1: "Keep an eye on the window!"