Trading Barks or Taliaferro (Re: Pop and Sandwiches quote)

Daniel van Eijmeren dve at kabelfoon.nl
Sun Apr 18 13:56:23 CEST 2004

DANIEL NEYER, 15-04-2004:

["This is quite a mystery! Let's sit down with some pop and sandwiches
and figure it out!"]

> I think this one is from the Trade Rat story in an early issue of
> WDC&S.

Correct!

As far as I know, the trade rat story [WDC 52] is the only published
1940s Barks story of which some original art has survived.

Original art of page 4 survived because a very eager Donald Duck strip
reader wrote to Dell Publishing in 1940s and asked for any original
Donald Duck strip. The point was that he had read newspaper strips,
which were drawn by Al Taliaferro. Later these two half pages were sold
and resold as Taliaferro's art, until someone noticed the real artist.
On the bottom half-page there is one correction. Barks has at first
drawn stitches on the live rat and corrected them on the toy rat (in
panel 4.6).

Source: Matti Eronen book "Surviving Comic Book Art" (page 18). Eronen
mentions page 5 instead of page 4. As the stitches information doesn't
match with panel 5.6, while the art of page 4 is shown as illustration
(but identified as page 5), Eronen must have meant page 4 as survivor.

BTW. Somewhere in The Carl Barks Library in Color, there a reproduction
of a b/w 1940s photo, which shows Barks with an original half page of
'The Old Castle's Secret' (OS 189).

--- Daniël

"For goodness, sake! Who's that guy - the PIED PIPER?"

(Which Barks story?) :-)