new Disney series in States

Lars Jensen lpj at forfatter.dk
Tue Apr 20 17:06:47 CEST 2004

Mike Rhode forwarded:

> Though the [W.I.T.C.H.] stories are mostly published as comic books in
> other countries, the Disney brain trust believes that American girls
> will prefer chapter-book storytelling, at least in the beginning.
> [...] Translated from Italian, the book is written in a breezy style.

OK, I'm confused. Are they talking about the Italian comics or the
Danish novels? As far as I know, there are no Italian novels out.

> Disney sees grand possibilities for "W.I.T.C.H." [...] maybe even a
> movie. There is a TV series in development in France.

Finally, a confirmation of the TV series. (I assume this is the
Saban-animated show.)

> Sheilah Egan, a bookseller at A Likely Story in Alexandria, says [...]
> "It's very odd. They are manufacturing a set of characters not based
> on a previous book, a fairy tale or something."

Yes, that's called "originality". Odd, indeed.

> Deborah Johnson, book buyer for Child's Play on Connecticut Avenue NW,
> says she has seen the books in Disney's spring catalogue, but she is
> not planning to buy any. "I believe in books that come from authors'
> minds and not from committees," she says.

As far as I know, the "committee" that came up with this concept
consisted of two people: A writer and an artist. I suppose she thinks
Asterix or anything from Alan Moore is worthless, too.

W.I.T.C.H. comics are good comics. I haven't read the Danish novels, but
they're by Lene Kaaberbøl, who has written fantasy for quite a while
now, so there's a chance the novels are good, too. If Disney does its
job right, W.I.T.C.H. will rake in lots and lots of money in the US. And
"Child's Play" will miss out. Good going, Deborah.

Lars