Royalties

Gary Leach bangfish at cableone.net
Wed Aug 4 01:59:35 CEST 2004

> > I dont think Gemstone pays a cent to creators when they reprint
> these stories
> That's sad to hear. Even DC and Marvel pay royalties on reprints these
> days. They didn't used to in the past, but they've changed that in
> recent years.
>
> David

This, legally speaking, is false. Gemstone, a licensee with a very
specifically defined license, pays considerable royalties to the one
creator that contractually counts - Disney. And that, also by
contractual terms, is the sole creator to which Gemstone can - and, of
course, must - pay royalties of any kind. What Disney chooses to allow
outside of that is determined solely by Disney.

Dean:

>     I have another question for you Gary, if you don't mind.  Is there
> in lets say the next year or so any plans for *any* TPBs with say
> collections of Rosa or Van Horn stories, or even just a collection of
> " Great Disney Stories"?

Plans are afoot to do a TPB series of Don Rosa's "Life and Times of
Scrooge McDuck," possibly as early as next year. There's no firm
production schedule yet, so there's no knowing how things may finally
shape up, but we see no serious obstacles to making it happen.

Gary