DCML Digest Issue 26

Don Rosa donrosa at iglou.com
Sat Aug 21 16:02:10 CEST 2004

> From: "Lars Jensen" <lpj at forfatter.dk>
> Subject: That special spark
> Writer Steven Grant wrote a little about this "single person" attitude a
> few weeks ago in his "Master of the Obvious" column

And I now return from reading that... and I simply disagree with him. What
opinion would you expect him to tout, he who writes comics but cannot draw?
(Or from me, who can do both, at least marginally.) On the other hand, when
he says that he disagrees that "comics written and drawn by the same person
were inherently superior to those with the disciplines performed by
different people", he is referring to a much more specific definition of
"superior" than I refer to. I am saying that those comics may sometimes not
be as enjoyable as a team effort. But they are undeniably on another plane
of existence by the *fact* they are the product of a single mind and will.
The reason I *can't* find the exact words to explain that to someone who
doesn't sense it is why I use a flatulent term like "sparkle".