National Treasure and Don Rosa

sgarciab@soluziona.com sgarciab at soluziona.com
Wed Dec 15 15:42:18 CET 2004

Mark:

>>You'll be better off finding a more accurate portrayal of
Freemasonry in an old episode of the Honeymooners or the Flintstones.

:-D

Derek:

>>So if there are any similiarites, it can probably be chalked up to
writers
simply writing types of stories that are in a certain vein, therefore
making it
look like one was inspired by the earlier story. So I don't think there's
any
connection as far as Don's stories and the movie are concerned.

Well, of corse there's always the chance that two writers write down the
same ideas, but I have found all these coincidences between the movie and
some Rosa's stories:
        -The hero is searching a legendary treasure jumping from place to
place, finding a new clue on each place (The guardians of the Lost
Library);
        -The treasure is supposed to be the remainings of the Templar
Knights' treasure (The Crown of the crusader kings);
        -There's a map drawn in the reverse side of an historic, ancient
document (The lost Charts of Columbus);
        -At the beggining of the story, the action places in a museum
where there's the original copy of the Independence Manifest (the JW
handbook in The Guardians of the Lost Library);
        -The treasure contains some ancient papers from the Library of
Alexandry (Guardians of the Lost Library);
        -(SPOILER) The detective pursuing the hero happens to have *a certain secret* at the end (The Crown
of the crusader kings);
        -There's a fact concerning the historic date & time settings (the
timelight savings in the movie, the dates in The Crown of the crusader kings);

I think that even the characters are spoofed from the duck universe
(though I realise they are quite classical, standard characters):
        -Gates being US (the hero)
        -The girl being HDL (History expert)
        -The friend being DD (the comical guy)
        -The villain being FG (or some other duck villain)

Yes, yes... Analogue relations could be made for thousands of movies. I
just see as one more "coincidence".

Or maybe am I suffering from duckmania? ;-)

Santiago.