Dead Characters

Shaun Craill scraill at methven.net
Wed Dec 22 20:36:47 CET 2004

Derek Smith wrote:

How/why are certain characters declared dead/offlimits?
<snip>
My personal opinion, if the story is good and if the characters are true
to their spirit, then who cares what characters are used in the story? A
writer/artist should be able to use whoever they wish if the above is
fulfilled.

I would agree with this wholeheartedly.  I personally have a soft spot
for Ludwig von Drake and Emil Eagle, both of whom seem to be in
disfavour.  I don't think of these characters as dead, just absent from
Duckburg for a while. In Emil's case, the artwork of his past stories
has made him seem a little wooden; perhaps it would take the zany
writing and artistic talents of someone like William van Horn to bring
him back to print.

Shaun Craill

(in a supposedly summery Auckland, I'm off to the beach for Christmas
for sun, sand and surf if this unseasonable rain ever stops)