Exclamation Points In Comic Stories

Shad Z. shadz at email.com
Wed Feb 18 21:13:01 CET 2004

From: "Olivier" <mouse-ducks at wanadoo.fr>

> Derek:

> The reason is quite simple and practical !
> Unfortunately, I can't find the album with the quotation-- but I do
> remember most of it !
> Carl Barks once explained that a point might be mistaken for "something
> a fly had put there", so an exclamation point was the easier way to
> avoid mistakes !

Correct!  Given the quality of printing used on comic
books back when Barks was working, a period could quite
easily get lost!  Exclamation points were used instead!

Nowdays, with better printing, most comic writers feel
free to use periods!  I don't know why Gemstone still
uses all-exclamation-points in their comics!

We could ask Don and the other American writers on the
list:
Do you write your English scripts with
all-exclamation-points? Or are your periods changed
to exclamation points by the letterer (by editorial
command)?

--
Shad Z.                      ^Q^
            http://shadz.homestead.com/files/